IDEA in partnership with TATA Communications Pvt. Ltd. runs project Umang in Dighi, Pune. The project started in November’ 2014 and aims to enhance employment opportunities and better social conditions for 1000 underprivileged women every year through skilling and entrepreneurial development. The women also benefit from the excellent facilities provided at the Advance Training Centre (ATC) at TATA’s Dighi campus.
Activities conducted under the project:
- Skill development courses in Tailoring, Beauty parlour and Art & Craft
- Life skill sessions on topics like health, hygiene, Time & Stress Management and Exposure visits
- 6 day Entrepreneurial Development Training (EDP) which includes training in management skills and financial literacy to encourage women to start their own business
- Handholding, seed money and support given to women who start their own business
- Help extended in grouping like-minded women into Self Help Groups (SHGs)
- Crash courses in Bag making, navari saree stitching and jewelry making
- Women also benefit hugely from 2 Digital literacy centres where they learn basics of computers and internet.
Project Umang is successfully enhancing employment opportunities and living conditions of thousands of women leading to their empowerment.